Simply ME

This is a non-egotist's attempt to be otherwise. This is my personal blog and all the postings made here are my personal views.

Friday, October 27, 2006

The fundoo beta versions...

Everytime i checked my official mail, i used to wonder why doesn’t our personal mail service providers i.e the likes of gmail, yahoo, rediff have a preview pane.
n lo!!! last week my wishes were finally fulfilled.

First it was Yahoo n it was closely followed by rediff who have come up with beta versions that have a functional n pleasant interface.I don’t know exactly when they launched this service to Indian users but I happened to check it out only on Saturday.

The +ve attributes:

1) The neat, arranged, cluster free look is a definite plus
2) The preview pane surely saves a lot of ur time.
3) All the shortcut keys are more or less same as that is already prevalent with gmail but its even more functional.

But in most areas Yahoo beats Rediff. They have very cleverly packaged all their services(calendar,news, ads, email alerts..) in a single window.

Reasons for my pick on yahoo over rediff are:

1) I can open my mails in tabbed panes just like i can in Lotus Notes!! wow !!This is the best feature u can ask for any day.
2) Keeping in mind the growing interest of receiving capsuled infos from diff sites, yahoo beta version have a tab for all the "RSS feeds".I haven’t made use of this feature yet (ok i havnt subscribed to ne RSS feed yet, so what, dont give me the surprised look), but i m sure its a good plus.
3) The bottom timeline strip to add/view a quick appointment in ur calendar.

My problem with Rediff:

1)If I move my mails from the "Inbox" to my "personal folders" i am not able to make use of the filter options of\nthe "View" tab. cmon i wld like to view only the unread mails of my personal folders also. is it a restriction of a feature or a bug???
2) I cant make out the practical implications of the "Show header" option for a normal user.

In both the beta versions I m looking fwd to:

1)Ability to have a thread of a mail neatly stacked one after the other.

hey ppl in Yahoo n Rediff, r u listening!!! I also wish Gmail also comes up with a fresh look n somethin new. i m waitinn!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home